REGIONAL SERVICE COMMITTEE OF NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS
PO BOX 2381
Dave H. opened with prayer.
Rick S. read 12 Traditions.
read 12 Concepts
Report- Dave H read the July
minutes. Kay pointed out that
the MANA Report was from 2005, due to her including the wrong file in the
minutes. She passed out the
correct report. Shayne asked
that the motions be numbered using the traditional method.
A motion to accept corrected minutes was made, seconded and
accepted by consensus by the committee.
Report – see appendix-1
Report - Greetings fellow
addicts, The next World Service Conference will be April 23 – 29, 2006
in woodland Hills, California. As
the Conference Agenda Report (CAR) will be included in the MRSCNA minutes,
I will just highlight a few points. The
main point is that the WSC is continuing its move towards a
discussion-based conference and away from a motion-driven conference.
The main focus of the conference will be the four issue discussion
topics out for discussion and input this conference cycle.
atmosphere of recovery,
our public image, and
strongly recommend that members read the discussions of these topics in
the CAR and give feedback to your ASRs, however your areas choose to do
this. Then at the regional committee in April, the ASRs can give me
the region’s conscience on these issues which I will take to WSC 2006,
along with your vote on the three regional motions in the CAR. To summarize the 3 regional motions:
(Northern New York) To develop a glossary of recovery terms
typically used in Narcotics Anonymous;
(Ohio Region) To develop a fellowship-approved Identity Statement;
(German Speaking Region) To change the time frame for approval form
recovery literature from the current minimum of 150 days to a minimum of 1
also encourage members who are interested in service at the world level
(work groups, world board members, human resource panel, conference
facilitators) to fill out the World Pool Information Form and send it in.
B was sick; he offered for
the committee to call him. We
Workshop scheduled for March 4 at Noon.
Region will give the Areas a copy of the CAR.
After the workshop; Members will take information back to their
areas and ASRs will bring input to the next region.
from Metro! Metro is alive
and kicking. We are grateful
to add a new meeting to the schedule, upping our total to nine meetings a
week. we have restarted our
Regional Jail H&I meeting and are still carrying the message into
Charleston Work release. We
have no needs from Region at this time – other than continued support
and our meetings listed on Regional Schedule
Area Service hasn’t met but one time since last region.
have a new meeting on Saturday night at 1st Christian Church in
Logan. It is being run by a
treatment facility and they all get out on January 26th.
We’re going to see how it goes for a little while before we will
put them on the schedule. I
don’t know if they are going to be a part of the area.
More will be revealed. The
pager is getting 1 – 2 calls a week.
We are all due for a phone line work shop.
we had our last one at Holden last December (04).
Public Information has lit., our meeting schedules are being put at
Magistrate Offices. Logan
Mental Health gets them, on the radio.
We are threatening to have a flyer day.
the past quarter the Mountain Area groups have had strong attendance.
The We Do Recover Group is growing in numbers, and having
consistently larger meetings. The Do or Die meeting in Clifton Forge continues to have two
meetings a week, and the
Lewisburg Group has several new regular members.
area’s Winter Holiday Extravaganza was held on December 11.
Unfortunately, due, perhaps, to some misunderstandings and lack of
effective communication, the event was poorly attended.
However, the food was delicious and the ones of us who attended had
a great meal and listened to a great speaker after the dinner.
We Do Recover Group voted at their most recent Group Conscience to
withdraw from the Mountain Area and go independent.
Certainly this action will offer a time of adjustment and an
opportunity for growth for each group.
With our Higher Power’s help, perhaps we can take advantage of
this opportunity and grow stronger in our recovery.
I guess that was a personal comment, not a report on area
conscience. More will
be revealed as we work through this challenge.
Lewisburg Group celebrated one three year anniversary during the quarter,
and looks forward to several multiyear anniversaries over the next
quarter, God willing.
Lewisburg group did a PI presentation at the local community college,
which was well received. The
instructor was quite vocal and attempted to corner us into offering
opinions on all sorts of topics, but we managed to keep our traditions and
our sanity throughout.
pager is being carried regularly; we received 5 calls, which I will be
honest and say were not answered by yours truly.
offers the same donation of $100 to the region
that we offered last quarter, as the check never made it into the
to the RSC for this opportunity to share.
by Kay M., ASR
NEVER ALONE NEVER AGAIN
from the NANA area let see if I can remember how to do this as it’s been
awhile. Ah yes I remember keep it short, keep your opinions to yourself
and don’t air your dirty laundry in print.
our GSR`s are reporting average attendance but not much talk of many new
members joining home groups. Their has been a number of celebrations so
the old one are still around. We
did have 4 of 5 GSR`s attend our last ASC that seams to be the norm for us
although it seams to a different one missing each month. Alt`s are in
short supply it seams.
is doing ok we are continuing to do PI mailing to every place we can come
up with. We also have a list that we send updated Regional meeting
schedules every quarter.
are working on a project to place our NA business cards in places we think
addicts may run into them, but are having problems finding businesses
willing to take them.
thing that does seam to be a success is we are placing bulletin boards
with NA readings our Help Line number etc in treatment centers. We have
placed three so far and we keep them updated with new schedules.
newest thing is we have restocked our PI presentation display with lots of
literature and will be using it for PI work as well as setting it up at
all our area functions. We feel we may attract more newcomers as well as
helping support NA services world wide with this rather large order to the
line is reporting that calls have dropped to almost nothing. The only
addict wishing to talk to a volunteer was high at the time. We do feel
that we may need to refine the scrip that Capitol Paging is using so to
make it more clear to the caller that they can easily speak with a
volunteer. We also want to know how we are keeping track of the calls now.
is servicing two facilities. They are mostly group projects with the area
support being mainly funding. H&I has also made a large literature
order from world and is trying to make sure that treatment centers,
halfway house etc. libraries in our area have Basic Text to read or lend
is quiet till spring but we do wish to thank all the came out to support
us this year and look forward to this year as always.
is inactive at this time except for some sharing about the PR workbook.
will be looking into how often we hold a ASC with thoughts of not meeting
monthly but bi-monthly or quarterly.
finished now let see. We have opened up the ASC sharing session to allow
more back and forth dissuasion .We now have a EIN number so we can get our
SS numbers off the bank account at last We held elections and with few
exceptions we just swapped hats around. The ASR hat fell on me this time
around. I will be happy to answer any question about NANA land or point
you to someone more informed than I.
Shayne M. ASR NANA
is well in the North Central Area. We
are currently serving 15 home groups and 30 meetings. a week.
We are also serving 13 H&I meetings a month.
are still attempting to fill vacant area positions but have faith that
everything will take care of itself.
New Year’s dance was a success despite low attendance.
The Activities Subcommittee is currently planning events for this
spring – More will be revealed.
are making a donation of $33 to the region.
Yours in loving service,
from the Areas:
TO NEW BUSINESS---
and Institutions –Trevor
- Wes R,
We met with 12 members present. We started out with Area
Central has a new PI Chair and is trying to back on track. They are
trying to locate the PI supplies so they can get started. They want 550
meeting schedules total.
a request from the Denmar corr.
facility about lit. It was given to the Mt. Area to follow up on. They did
send along some lit. to the inmate. They want
400 total schedules
Coalfields ahs had the radio and newspaper PSA’s running. A flyer
day is in the making. They want 250 total schedules.
is still putting the PSA’s on the local cable Co. They are putting out
250 meeting schedules to places on their mailing list. Most of which are
delivered in their local area. They are getting a PI display put together
for future use. They have three bulletin boards placed in treatment
centers that have the readings, updated meeting schedules and activities
placed on them. They want 550 meeting schedules total.
MANA had a PI
presentation at the Community College that went well. They did respond to
the inmate request they received and sent IP’s and white books. They
want 200 total schedules.
We didn’t have a
report from or request from the Freedom, GTO or Appy. Areas.
We moved on to discussion about switching the section that has
lines to write down phone numbers on with the section on the back that has
other regions help-line numbers. It was agreed upon and the Chair will
contact Rob with this and the updates and see what he can do.
The web-site was
discussed and the Chair will contact Rob and get the info needed to access
the page and make changes. It will be given to Kay who is willing to take
this job. It was also brought up that we need a way for people who wish to
download the meeting info on the site to be able to do this without having
to print 10 pages. The Chair will contact Rob and see about a PDF file to
do this with. Wes R./
Phone line Subcommittee – Candie M., Chair
new system seems to be working out good.
were late giving them the new meeting schedule but this was a quick and
have yet to get a new pager to replace the old broken/ lost phone chair
pager. The Answering Service has been contacting me by my cell phone and
this has been working well.
the manager at Capital Radio reported that things were running smooth for
them. He stated that they receive up to thirty calls daily requesting
meeting schedule information.
receive at least one to three calls a week needing additional information
in which they contact me.
The calls I have picked up are few. One was regarding meeting
information for a treatment center in which I passed this number to the
was a strange fellow who was complaining about a local meeting. He sounded
like he was still using. He continued to call on and off for a couple of
weeks both my cell phone and the 800 number.
A couple calls were family members trying to find help for their
using loved one.
Eight numbers have been turned in for phone line. If this is
correct then I hope we can get more people trained to answer calls. I hope
we have missed a few and that if this information could be gathered before
Regional Service it might become a longer list.
was requested at the service meetings that areas use their phone line
notebook to record their calls. And also if ASRs could bring it to next
service in April it would be easier to see how the pagers are working.
Your participation would be appreciated.
in my report is the format of how the answering service would handle a
call. I hope it proves to be reassuring to those who still have lingering
doubts, also to provide basic information in case it needs critiquing.
Happy to Serve, Candie
Radio answers: Narcotics
Anonymous answering service would you like to speak to a member of
Narcotics Anonymous? Then they would get a phone number and page a member
in that area. If the call were not picked up then they would send off a
statewide. If the call still goes unanswered they page the Phoneline
Chair. (Or in this case they call my cell phone and or house phone.) Then
the PL Chair takes care of the call.
would you like meeting information? Then the Answering service would give
them, local meeting information.
Subcommittee – Bert
It’s a good day to be clean.
Thanks to Patty G. for chairing in October.
We have several things to do today.
have gone over past motions -
after the latest policy. I
???? minutes from Jan 04 and Oc 04. Hopefully
we can review them during the next subcommittee meeting.
last convention went well. The
only problem was a broken door during the dance at the Assembly Hall.
Allen called me about 1 AM and I got the security to come and tape
door. Cedar Lakes said there
would be no charge.
indigent packages were below $500. Jim
M. gave his package to a newcomer and Jack S. ave part of his meal tickets
and 2nd person in his room to a newcomer. Diane paid this after convention as requested.
Public Relations meeting was well attended by locals and out of towners
with much participation.
we need to select speakers, decide what to do with old merchandise, elect
a refreshment VC, get CD person selected (I have a proposal).
Select artwood, money motions, etc.
So let’s begin with reports from Convention Subcommittees:
Chair Patty G. written report
Chair Shayne M. written report
Chair Trevor N. oral report
chair Rick S. oral report
few pieces of merchandise left, mostly mugs (40))
Reports from all subcommittee chairs
Discussion about left over
Tax ID Cedar Lakes has it.
Fall Convention – Nov 3, 4, 5, 2006
We can reserve 2007 Spring Convention rooms on Saturday afternoon of 2006
Book Donations for Spring 2006 Spring Convention:
Art work voted on – 2 groups painting;
Fill the Void.
We will have 40 pictures.
Rooms are reserved. – one for Mr. Bill and one for Andy H. per
committee.We had to reprint fliers for convention; Cedar Lakes gave us
wrong information. All areas
except GTO receiving 100 fliers. Kay
took FANA, Diane took App. Foothills.
Rooms left over as of today:
I requested all future
Saturday evening speaker meetings be in the Dining Hall.
The reason Cedar Lakes went
to current system is because it was state mandated to have
addresses and telephone numbers in case Cedar Lakes has to be closed for
shelter from a natural disaster. The
plans that the government sent to Louisiana were to bring people here.
They were not needed, so we came close to not having a convention
this past fall.
Motions that were sent to the RSC:
In loving service,
Bert J, Convention Chair
Patty G. Convention Vice Chair
FALL 2005 Convention Registration Report
from the registration team we had a very successful fall convention. I
would first like to thank all the members of the team for the bang-up job.
Everyone from the preproduction folks to the huggers at the table. We had
multiple proofreaders as well
as a member who took care of the printing. At the convention we had
folders and staplers and lets not forget those money takers. Good job team
and lets do it again in the spring.
heard very little of complaints not even the new pre registration seamed
to be a problem. We also believe that the having rooms open for the late
night activities was a success.
the bottom line. We had $300.00 for supplies and returned $93.00 to the
Treasure. We also had $200.00 in startup for change and took in $4967.96
in registration fees plus $70.96 was put in the 7th tradition
can. That makes the final total.
$4967.96 Reg. Fees
$0070.96 7th Trad.
$5038.92 Amount taken in
supplies – printing, tags etc.
there’s any else anyone wishes to know just ask and we will do our best
to answer. Don’t forget that we will be back in the spring so just show
up early and we will put you to work.
for letting us serve
The Convention Registration Team
Shayne M reg. chair
Vice Chair Report
Convention – all of the chair people for the workshops showed up.
Attendance was well attended, standing room only.
The only exception was for the Traditions 1 – 6
Workshop. Only chair
showed up. Maybe we need only
one traditions topic meeting.
we were “spot cleaning” after the convention, one of the men’s
bathrooms was stopped up – a big mess.
I called Cedar Lakes to have it fixed.
I rescued our banner
G. Convention Vice chair
Finance Subcommittee- (notes
by RSC chair)
finance committee met Saturday evening and reviewed up coming expenses.
Expenses through April:
travel - Zonal Forum.………….…....................$ 200.oo
travel – MARLCNA………….……………...…..$ 500.oo
Alt travel – WSC……………………………..….$1000.oo
estimated operating expenses…. ………$1400.oo
Total funds required
Note: RSC 1/08/06
expenses and Area Donations were not included in BBF!
NAWS donation this quarter recommended.
need nominations for Treasure II. Diane
T. has expressed willingness for another term as Treasure.
policy motions were missing from the latest policy update, Shayne will
produce a policy addendum page to be attached to the policy document dated
We will be looking into developing a Human resource pool for our
region. The David H. will write up a general plan to be presented at the
next P&A meeting in April. A HRP form is included
in the appendices for review and input. Please bring any ideas you
might have to next meeting.
New tax ID forms will be filled out and mailed this month by the
included in the meeting were discussions on RD’s ability to make motions
and weather the Subcommittee Chairs should be included with the RSC
officers as reimbursable for travel to the RSC.
To change policy, Add Subcommittee chairs or vice chairs to section
VIII; C #11 to read: “Fund all RSC officers, Subcommittee chairs or vice
motion will be presented at the next RSC.
normal order of business at the January RSC had to be suspended due to not
having a quorum of ASR’s on Sunday (5 of 8 Areas must be present to vote
on motions and conduct the business of the RSC).
It is important that Areas
send representatives to the RSC so the work of PI, Phoneline, Convention
& WSC input can be done according to our service structure.
Please bring nominations back to the April RSC for Regional
A resume form is included in the Appendices.
We need support (your butt in our chairs!) for clean time
celebrations at the Outer Limits Group:
Monday 7, 2006 1-2 year clean Jan 23rd 1-16 year March
20th – 6 yr. April 3rd – 1-6 year.
CAR Workshop/Discussion @
Cedar Lakes March 4th
Noon – until….